My Personality

Click to view my Personality Profile page

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My childhood friends

I have been thinking about the neighborhood where I grew up. Thinking about my friends from when I was young and free. Thinking about a time in my life when I didn't have a care in the world. When I was young and innocent. Everything was a game or an adventure.

We didn't have much when we were growing up but it didn't matter. We lived near the ocean in a small town. Everyone knew everyone else. If a neighbor caught you doing something you shouldn't be doing they gave you a swat on the butt and sent you home. When you got there your mother would be waiting to let you know she knew what you did. My brother John and I were almost always together. We had 2 friends that we would hang around with most of the time. They were Danny and Eddy.

We would spend most of our summer days swimming. We spent the winter sledding down a street that was pretty steep and always covered with snow and ice int he winter. There was one tree that was everyone's "secret hideout." We would climb the tree and sit in it smoking or stuffing ourselves with junk food.

I was thinking about the past and remembering how much fun life was then. We were almost always laughing. We were always happy. We were almost always doing things we wanted to do even if it wasn't right. In short, we lived in the moment. No guilt about the past and no fear of the future.

My brother John lives near me now. We are across the country from where we grew up so going "home" is not an option right now. There are times when I want to go back there. There are times when I think that I can get back to having that free spirit that I had when I was young. I am trying to get back to that peace. I know it's not a place on the map but a place in my heart.

My dad was an alcoholic who was there sometimes. We would go years without seeing him because of the explosive and violent relationship he had with my mother. I will say that he never put a hand on us out of anger. My mother was the one who did all the punishing when we did things we shouldn't.

My mother was an active alcoholic when I was real young. I don't know how old I was when she stopped drinking but I guess I was around 5 years old. Even though she didn't drink any more she still had the alcoholic behavior. To say my parents had a stormy relationship would be putting it mildly.

I did a search online for my friends names. There is no way I was going to forget them. I have thought about them a few times over the years but never thought to look online to try and find them. Last night I finally did the search.

I found the family name living on the same street where they grew up. I thought it had to be a very old listing but thought what the heck. I have unlimited long distance on my phone so it wouldn't cost a thing to try the number and see if that is a good one for them.

We lived one street over from our friends. I can still hear and see their mother standing on the front porch calling them. She would just say "Danny, Eddy - right now!" Everyone knew that meant get home right now or else. If she called more then once and they weren't with us we would pass on the shout. In fact, if any of the parents called their children to get home everyone would pass the shout along to make sure they knew to go home.

I called the number today and much to my surprise the mother answered the phone. I told her who I am and she remembered me! Believe me, I remember her very well. I have to admit that I am surprised that she is still alive. Both of my parents have been gone for a very long time. My friends are the same age as my brother and I.

Eddy lives with his mother in the same house he grew up in. His sister Kathy is home also. They were at the beach swimming. I should have guessed that is where they would be on a hot summer day. I wonder if they still feel the same as they did when they were young. I will call tonight and find out how they are doing. Just knowing they I have made contact makes me feel some of the joy of my childhood again. I can't wait to tell my brother!

No comments:

Post a Comment