My Personality

Click to view my Personality Profile page

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Forgiveness

Forgiveness is mentioned in the bible many times. I know that this is something we all struggle with from time to time. When we feel that someone has hurt us we get angry. We want to hold on to that anger because we were wounded. We feel justified for being angry and don't want to let it go. What we don't realize is the only person we are hurting by being unforgiving is ourselves. There are many reasons why we should learn how to forgive. I am going to quote from a few places in the bible where Jesus talks about forgiveness. I am going to be teaching from Matthew chapter 6 verse 9, Matthew chapter 18 verse 21 ,Mark chapter 11 verse 25. and Luke chapter 23 verse 34.

Turn your bible to chapter 6 verse 9. I will be reading from the King James Version. The words are in red so we know that it is Jesus speaking. He is teaching his disciples when he said " 9After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.10Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.11Give us this day our daily bread.12And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen."

After Jesus taught this prayer He went on to say in verse "14For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:15But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

If Jesus repeated Himself it was because He knew that what He was saying was important. He wanted to make sure that it was understood. He repeated Himself to be sure what He said was not only understood but remembered as well.

Turn your bible to Matthew chapter 18 verse 21 and read " 21Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? 22Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven."

That is a lot of forgiving. I know that for me it would be a hard thing to do. In the past I would give lip service and say I forgive but keep bitterness and resentment in my heart. The next time I got angry all of the past would come spewing out of my mouth like a runway freight train. This is NOT what Jesus meant when He told us to forgive. I am making progress in this area but know that I have much more work to do.

Turn your bible to Mark chapter 11 " 25And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.26But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses."

Jesus again says to forgive and you will be forgiven. If you don't forgive you won't be forgiven. This is obviously very important and we are to forgive. No one said it would be easy but Jesus did say it enough times that we should know how serious this is.

Finally turn your bible to Luke chapter 23 "34Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do."

Even from the cross Jesus asked His father to forgive those who crucified Him. How many of us would be willing to forgive someone so quickly for anything? How many of us understand that if Jesus asked forgiveness even under those circumstances that we need to follow that example and learn how to honestly forgive the people we come in contact with? It's something to think about.

In closing I would like to pray. God, teach me how to really forgive. Teach me how to let go of the bitterness and anger that I feel. Teach me how to love others unconditionally the way you love me. Teach me how to forgive myself for the things in my past that are holding me back and keeping me in chains. These things I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment